07 April 2005

The Lost Temple of Echizen

Paul and Clare (two of my friends from England) came to visit me for a few days before I left for Okinawa (pics from Okinawa to follow soon!). It was absolutely fantastic to see them, and almost equally fantastic to see the Yorkshire Tea and McVities Chocolate Digestives they brought with them. Living in Japan is brilliant, but there are some things it's difficult to live without...

Anyway, they'd just spent a week touring round the shrines and monuments of Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima, so I thought I'd show them a little of the real Japan: i.e. karaoke and rice fields. After thoroughly soaking up the wonder of the rice fields, we went to my local karaoke establishment, and proceeded to get drunk in the traditional local manner - by drinking lots and lots of beer. Then we sang. And Paul fell through a wall. But that's a story for another day.

After our night of traditional entertainment we rose bright and early in the afternoon and decided it would be a spiffing idea to take a jaunty and sobering drive along the rugged Echizen coastline. As we wound our way through the mountain trails to the coast I slowly remembered how to drive, after which the whole adventure became a lot more enjoyable. Eventually we reached Echizen town, and Paul and Clare posed for a photo in a spot which was relatively free of massive concrete sea defences.


The coastline looked stunning as the waves crashed in. Pitifully, it's only the second time I've driven down the Echizen coast, despite the fact it's only a half hour drive over the mountains. I guess sometimes you take stuff for granted when it's on your doorstep...


On our travels along the coast we noticed this large concrete torii which seemingly led nowhere, and stood right by the cliffs. Suddenly we came over a bit Enid Blyton and decided to investigate the queer monument further. Come on Timmy! (woof woof!)


A winding path through the gate led to this doorway. Ever curiouser, we peeked round the corner...


I was expecting some sort of footpath which linked up to the road tunnel running through the mountain, but instead we found a concrete cave lined with statues!


A close up of the altar at the end of the tunnel. Who put this here? When was it built? And why? Answers on a postcard please.


The sun sets on another spiffing adventure with "The Echizen Three". Next week, the inquisitive children go for a picnic on Skull Island (with lashings of ginger beer), only to inadvertently stumble across a smuggler's hideout!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you made your own lemonade!

Phoenix said...

WHA?!

Kaori and I were just there a couple weeks ago! I have an almost identical picture of the torii on my phone. But we DIDN'T follow the path around the corner, and DIDN'T find the mysterious cave shrine.

DOH!

By the by, did you notice the brief gap between tunnels with cars parked? I wanted to stop and check it out, and didn't.

Next time...next time....

By the way, does Echizen Beach have...an actual beach somewhere? With sand and stuff? I thought I would get to play in the sand, but there was only those giant jacks. :'-(

Phoenix said...

Oh, and it was only on that trip to Echizen that I finally got the 'Englishman in New York' reference (how sad is that?).

Lewis said...

Don't worry, you'd be surprised how many people don't pick up on that reference.

A mysterious gap between tunnels with cars parked you say? Come on Timmy, time for another adventure methinks!

Lewis said...

Oh, and as far as I'm aware, the nearest actual beach is in Mikuni, though of course I may be wrong...