19 January 2005

Tiny wee beer

When I first arrived in Japan, I was shocked by the tiny beer cans: most of them are about the size of a Coke can. At first I resisted buying the smaller sized cans, stating that they were "for girls", but I've since come round to the idea of the small can. For a start, the smaller can means that the beer isn't flat by the time you get to the bottom of it. Plus, since they're half the size, it means you can drink twice as many, then brag about how many drinks you've had.

But the other day I saw these child-size cans. Which, frankly, are a step too far. The normal size cans (500ml) are the silver ones on the top shelf, the Coke size ones are next to them (330ml) and the tiny wee ones (200ml) are on the bottom shelf. Perfectly designed to fit in your lunch box. Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karl again, you crazy drunken British people... Those so-called "soda size" cans are the standard can size for us Americans too... The bigger cans are known as talls or tall boys, or pounders for us cool kids (since there are 16 ounces in a pound)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lew, Will here. I love checking up on your blog, and think you look dead sexy in your Japanese outfits. I particularly enjoyed the story about the missing umbrella which still makes me chuckle now.
Just to say that I am working in the UAE this week and we have been dry (ie without alcohol) since the weekend until tonight at 7pm because of the religious festival Eid Mubarak. You might quibble about those dainty cans but this time yesterday I'd have ripped a man's head off for one. You know what they say about wanting something more if you can't have it. Anyway, keep up the good work mate and I'll be ready with a big hug when/if you ever want to come back to Watford.
(Ps what the hell is wrong with having beer in your lunchbox? I think it's a massive idea)

Lewis said...

Hi Will, nice to hear from you! It's good to know that my website has reached into the Middle East. By the way, you'll be glad to hear that the umbrella was anonymously returned on Christmas Eve, which made one little girl very happy, as well as restoring the tarnished reputation of Nyu High School.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Everybody loves a happy ending. I bet the umbrella thief is still feeling pangs of guilt even now.