31 January 2005

More Engrish

Some people have been emailing me to ask for some more examples of Engrish. Well, you're in luck, because I spotted some absolute gems this weekend... I love these two examples, mostly because someone's obviously gone to a lot of effort to write in English, but yet they've still come up with absolute gibberish.

It still amazes me that no-one bothers to check these kind of things before they go ahead and paint it on a wall, or launch an ad campaign. There was a recent TV ad campaign where the tagline was "Impossible is nothing".

Sorry? What? Surely you mean "Nothing is impossible"? They must have spent millions of yen on that ad campaign, yet they didn't think to just turn round to someone who spoke English and say "Does this make sense?".

Still, I'm not complaining - it's always a pleasure to come across a new example of Engrish. In fact, I salute the dodgy ad writers and naff spell-checkers of this glorious country! Join me now, as I raise my hands to the golden sky and shout: "MAY CACK-HANDED GRAMMAR RULE FOREVER IN THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN!!!!!!!!!!!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen the 'Impossible is Nothing' ads on TV over here as well... You know it's real quality Engrish when it's even used in Engrand! Sorry, England.