14 December 2005

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow

The snow has been absolutely crazy here recently - I've never seen anything like it. It didn't start snowing till Christmas Eve last year, but at the moment we're getting more snow than we usually have in January! It started just over a week ago, and it's been coming down, on and off, ever since. You can see the awful road conditions in Asahi here, but even that's nothing compared to the roads up in Izumi to the east.
 
When I checked this morning the snow here was around 45cm deep, but it's been snowing furiously all day so it's probably much deeper by now. Don't get me wrong, I love snow, but it's making it really tricky to get around... To give you an example, I went to take out my rubbish this morning, and a five minute walk around the corner turned into a half hour battle against the elements as I fought my way through the uncleared paths, desperately trying to stop the snow coming in the top of my boots. On the way back I even saw a tree collapse under the weight of the snow, and when I got to school this morning I found the school secretary throwing a broom at one of the school's prized ornamental pine trees, desperately trying to knock the snow off so the poor pine wouldn't suffer the same fate. Although, arguably, throwing a broom at it probably isn't going to do it much good either.
 
However, by far the most distressing aspect of the weather is that my poor little tiny car has now become imprisoned in a tomb of ice and snow. Regular readers may remember a similar thing happening last February, but this time around the snow's even deeper... The trouble is that no-one ploughs my road because I'm the only one that really uses it, so even after digging out my car I have to run the gauntlet of driving / attempting to drive through 100 or so metres of knee-deep snow. I'm running low on food though, and I can't keep subsisting on egg sandwiches from the local Circle K, so I'm going to have to break free sooner or later...
 
On the plus side though, Asahi looks amazing in the snow.
 
AND, this weekend I get to go snowboarding!!! If I can dig my car out that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something to sing whilst digging yourself out! Dad

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signsof stopping
And I've bought some corn for popping
The lights are turned way down low
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

When we finally kissgoodnight
How I'll hate going out in the storm!
But if you'll really hold me tight
All the way home I'll be warm

The fire is slowly dying
And, my dear, we're still goodbying
But as long as you love me so
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!