17 February 2005

God's fruit

I've mentioned before that fruit in Japan is prohibitively expensive, but nothing prepared me for the shock of seeing the prices in one particular department store in Sapporo. The only reason I can think of for this fruit to be so expensive is that God himself must have picked them from his personal orchard, then sent them down to earth along a sunbeam in a golden chariot pulled by angels. Generally I don't think I'm mean with money, but I'd have to be dying of scrurvy before I paid 30 quid for a melon.

1 comment:

Lewis said...

I'll admit, this fruit was expensive, even for Japan. People do buy a lot of fruit here, but it's often seen more as a treat than a regular snack. The apples tend to be really big, and they're always sold individually. It's not uncommon for people to only eat a few slices of apple at a time, then save the rest for later.