11 March 2005

The Banshees of Democracy

I have a new nemesis. Its name is Japanese democracy.

Well, actually, that's a bit melodramatic. I'm not waging war on the whole of Japanese democracy, just one specific aspect of it - the campaign cars.

Last month Asahi-cho officially became Echizen-cho - a new town made up of the former towns of Ota, Miyazaki, Echizen and Asahi. As a result the townspeople have to elect a new mayor, and the election campaign kicked off on Tuesday, ahead of the elections on March 13th.

Campaign rules are very strict in Japan. The campaign can only last a certain number of days, and, like Britain, television ads are not allowed. Furthermore, heavy restrictions are placed on advertising in the print media, and door-to-door campaigning is strictly forbidden. The rules are designed so that candidates with lots of funding won't gain an undue advantage - kind of the opposite of the full frontal media assault you see in the American presidential elections.

However, it also leaves the politicians with a problem - how can they promote themselves if they can't advertise? The answer is this:




The Campaign Car. Each candidate is allowed one campaign car, mounted with enormously powerful loudspeakers, which constantly blare out the candidate's name and policies in the most irritating, sing-song voice you can imagine.

And they're driving me insane.

The cars are allowed to roam the streets from 8am to 8pm, playing the same tape loop over and over again at window rattling volume. I'm in the school staff room at the moment, and I can clearly hear a campaign car on the other side of town - it's crazy. Technically the cars aren't allowed to go near schools or hospitals, but it doesn't seem to matter - you can hear them wherever they go. The high school entrance exams were on Tuesday, so the poor kids had to put up with all this banshee wailing whilst they were trying to take their tests.

I like the idea of banning television advertising in elections, but at least you can turn the TV off if you want to. It's getting to the point where I'm tempted to put a brick through the windscreen of the next campaign car I see.

One thing I like about the elections though is the candidates' bases. There are four main candidates, and they have their campaign bases in a row along the main street in Asahi, each one surrounded by coloured flags. So there's the blue team, the green team, the yellow team and the pink team - kind of like sports day for politicians. Plus each team is trying to outdo the other in various comical ways. As I was driving to school the other day, I say the blue team lined up in a row next to all their flags. At first I wondered what they were doing, then I realised they were bowing to every single car that drove past. Classy.

Now if only there was more of that, and less of the caterwauling banshee cars, I'd be a lot happier.

If you're interested, there's a really good article on Japanese elections here.

The pink team's base.


The blue team's base. You can tell they mean business, because they've hired a Portakabin.

8 comments:

Phoenix said...

Man, I couldn't agree with you more. If I were a politician, I would just tell people: "I won't disrespect you by blaring my campaign around town. If the campaign cars bother you, vote for me." I'd probably lose.

One thing I found interesting, you said: "door-to-door campaigning is strictly forbidden." Really? The mayor came by my house the other day. Actually, around 8pm on the 3rd (Thursday of last week). How's that for impressive memory? (I looked it up in my chat logs).

It was pretty bizarre, actually. He had several people with him. He recognized me right away (which surprised me, since I had only met him once, and that was 8 months ago). Whatever they had planned to say, once he saw it was me he began motioning them away (presumably to the next house), but there was this one woman with him that kept shouting something. Perhaps his name, so I would know for whom to vote (maybe she couldn't see that I was clearly a foreigner). Or maybe she COULD see that I was a foreigner, and she was shouting "Go away, devil!" Or maybe she was trying to shout a warning. "We've traced the call -- it's coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!" I don't know, my Japanese is not so good. Whatever it was, it got a chuckle out of the mayor.

Well, given that my Japanese language skills are lacking, maybe they weren't out campaigning. Perhaps the mayor was thinking to himself, "Gee, I haven't seen Phoenix in a long time. I wonder if he's OK? Hey, guys? Let's pop over to his house and make sure he's still alive." And once they saw I was alive and well, mission accomplished, they left, after the woman shouted "We're glad to see you're OK!"

Phoenix said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phoenix said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phoenix said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phoenix said...

Ack! Blogger has gone insane!

Lewis said...

Thank God the elections are all over now, that's all I can say. Thanks for your comment Phoenix, it really made me laugh! I hope the new mayor comes round to check I'm all right too...

Anonymous said...

hehe, those pictures, i suddenly realised they're setting themselves up for a big game of capture the flag. could make elections far more fun in the future.
enjoying the site lewis, i'll be back in the future! in the meantime, can anyone suggest a good club in nagasaki? we're going to happy cock in fukuoka, but haven't had any tips for nagasaki.

Lewis said...

Sorry Chris, I've never been to Nagasaki so I can't help you there! Liked your idea about capture the flag though - plain old democracy is just getting a bit dull now isn't it? It's about time we livened it up with some cross-party mayoral war games.