08 July 2005

The London Bombings

I found out about the London bombings last night, and there ensued an awful hour of panic where I found myself frantically calling everyone I knew in London to make sure they were safe. I was at an English summer camp for senior high school students when someone sent a text message with the news, and all the English teachers rushed to the nearest TV to find out what exactly had happened. It was so frustrating to see all these horrific pictures of mangled buses and the walking wounded, but being totally unable to understand any of the Japanese commentary. To make matters worse, my mobile phone chose that moment to run out of batteries, so I had to rush home to use my landline to call everyone. It took a while to get through the overloaded phone networks, but eventually I found out my friends and family were safe.

I still can't quite take in what has happened. Suddenly I feel so far away from home...

I'm just angry at the moment. I don't normally agree with anything written in The Daily Star, but for once I totally agree with their headline. It sums up what I'm feeling perfectly.

BASTARDS.

4 comments:

Maethelwine said...

Glad no one you know was hurt. On an entirely different note, the English Tea Ceremony thing is pretty damn good.

Anonymous said...

hi!!! i just found out ur awesome page by chance, let me leave a message. im a japanese & studyin english @ uni.
youre livin in fukui! my granpa & grandma r livin there. so ur pics reminds me of my summer breaks there when i was younger.
i really sorry to people of london & england...bastard.definitely.
a/w i enjoyed visitin ur page! byby!

Lewis said...

Thanks for your comment Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/london.asp