21 June 2005

Cocktails in the Sky Bar...

...Or, "Tokyo - Part 4, "The Final Part, No Really It Is".

One of the perks of being on the JET Programme is that the Japanese
government seems to be more than willing to throw money at us
left,right and centre. Every year, hundreds and hundreds of JETs who
have decided to stay on for another year (like myself) are sent to a
re-contracting conference in the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo.
That's the FIVE STAR Keio Plaza Hotel. The 47 STOREY FIVE STAR Keio
Plaza Hotel. ALL EXPENSES PAID. Not bad going for a lowly assistant
language teacher...

Anyway, we thought we'd take advantage of our luxury surroundings by
retiring for cocktails at sunset in the plush Sky Bar on the top floor
- let's face it, you can't stay in a five star hotel without having a
cocktail. Unfortunately, the Japanese government draws the line when
it comes to buying us drinks, which is a real shame cos the cocktails
were bloody expensive - my (tiny) "lychee daiquiri" cost an
astonishing 1500 yen (nearly 8 pounds).

However, we had a nice surprise when we received the bill - it turned
out to be happy hour - so all the cocktails were half price -
HURRAH!!!

All the cocktails except my cocktail that is, which was apparently
from the "special menu", and was still 1500 yen - BOOOOOO!!!

Ah well, you can't win em all I guess...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lew, Dad here
Just remember this weekend its Glastonbury and a bottle or water could cost you just as much!

Anonymous said...

At least you got something different. I had the exact same drink as Laura, but, like you, I had to pay full price.

("¥1800?! D'oh!")

Lewis said...

Ah well, you win some and you lose some I guess...

As for Glastonbury, I saw the pictures of the floods, and it looks like an absolute nightmare. I can honestly say that I'm glad I'm not there - I've been in the wet before, and it quickly becomes more like a survival exercise than a festival. Of course, mud diving is pretty good fun though...