02 February 2006

More Randomness From Japan

I see crazy random things in Japan practically every day, so I reckon it's about time for another little celebration of them. From Kit Kats to Engrish, here's a quick round up of the crazy things I've seen over the past couple of months.
 
Special mention has to go to the water bottles (photo below). I've spotted them lined up outside some Japanese houses a few times before, but I've only just got round to taking a picture of them. According to the Seldomly Asked Questions (SAQ) section of Quirky Japan, residents place them outside their houses in order to scare away cats and other animals. Some accounts say that the animals will be scared of their reflection if they look into the bottles, and others say that the sunlight refracting through the bottles scares them away. There's some anecdotal evidence to support the theory here, but it sounds a bit mad to me (you can hear what the Englishman in Osaka has to say on the subject  here).
 
Only in Japan, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

brilliant lewis

Maethelwine said...

Someone here told me the water was for thirsty ghosts. Seemed reasonable, assuming one first acknowledges the pressing thirsty ghost issue.

Andrew Cramer said...

We use coke bottles filled with water as well to scare away dogs, cats etc.

Hi Howzit goin Lew!!!? I have my own blog now as well!

Lewis said...

I stand corrected. Not only in Japan, eh?