06 February 2006

Dangerous Chocolate

I had some rather dangerous chocolate at the weekend.
 
As you may or may not know, I'm rather partial to rum and raisin flavoured chocolate, "Old Jamaica" by Cadbury being one of my favourite indulgences. So when I was out snowboarding on Sunday I absolutely leapt at the chance to try "Rummy", a rum and raisin flavoured chocolate being sold in the shop at Izumi ski resort.
 
First impressions were favourable - lots of whole raisins and reasonable quality chocolate, though obviously paling in comparison with Cadbury's market-leading behemoth. But boy was it strong - I've never had chocolate that made my breath smell like a wino before.
 
I had another look at the packet - apparently it contains a whopping 3.7% alcohol, which somewhat explained my pirate breath. But wait, what's that written on the front there in Japanese?
 
"Contains alcohol, so please refrain from driving."
 
Now that's what I call chocolate.
 
It did put the fear up me a bit though. Japan's drink driving laws are notoriously strict (with the legal limit for alcohol being zero), so it would be just my luck to be deported for drink driving after eating a chocolate bar.
 
When I think about it, "drink driving after eating chocolate" could be in the running for "lamest crime it's possible to commit in Japan", maybe just after "accidentally burning down your own house" (which comes under the law against "negligence with fire").
 
Do we have any more candidates for the list?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the packet says 3.7% alcohol but the important factor is how many units are there in a bar. Is one bar equivalent to drinking a single shot of rum or is it more like liqueur chocolates which will make you sick before you get any noticable alcoholic effect. Dad

Chris C said...

Try Dollsy. It's gorgeous. There's a brandy version (3.9%) and a red wine and fig variety (2.7% I think) which is truly the tastiest thing on this planet. And I usually approve of neither red wine nor fig.

Rummy's whisky-flavoured sister "Bacchus" is similarly strong...

Ian said...

Ah man. I just miss real chocolate like they have in Britain rather than this 'candy' rubbish they have here. Mars Bars are just not the same.

Maethelwine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maethelwine said...

Are you taking off soon, or have you signed on for another contract? You guys finish up at the end of the school year, right? I'm a bit confused because another JET said something that suggested he had a contract through the end of Augist.

Lewis said...

Almost right - the contracts finish at the end of the July, since they're tied to the school year in England and America. I've got another few months yet!