Tuesday, July 19, 2005

This is a traditional Japanese house about halfway down my road. I asked one of the Japanese teachers in the office what these flowers were called, but he had no idea. However, after enlisting the help of two other teachers, a plant encyclopedia and a phone call to the maths teacher's mother, we discovered that they're called "nouzenkazura" in Japanese. Although I still have no idea what they're called in English.


Blogger Chris C said...

This is it:

凌霄花 【のうぜんかずら】 (n) great trumpet flower (Campsis chinensis); trumpet creeper

(from http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic?1C Online japanese dictionary)

It looks a bit like an oversized nastursium to me...

9:37 am  

Post a comment

<< Home