Thursday, March 09, 2006

Packwood - The Excitement Builds

Regular readers may remember that way back in February of last year I Googled my own name (see "Snatched By Vanity" in the archives), and was delighted to discover the existence of a town in Washington state called Packwood, in , wait for it, Lewis county. Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, they finally named a town after me.
 
Ever since then I just can't stop thinking about Packwood (WA). I often find myself absent-mindedly surfing the net, looking at pictures of Packwood's shops and bars, along with eruption forecasts for nearby Mt. St. Helens and prices for snowmobile rental: I just can't get the place out of my head. There's only one thing for it - I'm gonna have to go to Packwood.
 
That's right folks, the prodigal son is returning home. Come August I will be setting foot on the hallowed soil of Lewis county. What will the locals make of me? Will I be shunned as just another eccentric travelling Englishman? Or will they receive me as their one true heir and crown me as the mighty King of Packwood? Who knows. But I can't bloody wait to find out.
 
Seriously, I am SO excited about visiting Packwood. I've just been having a look at it on Google maps. Guess what - Lewis Road runs straight through the middle of Packwood! How cool is that! The more I research things about Packwood, the more fascinating it becomes. I've just been checking out the website for the Inn of Packwood: I love their catchphrase:
 
Whatever your pleasure, INN OF PACKWOOD is the "in" place to stay while in the beautiful Cascade Foothills.
 
Classic. Then there's Packwood Spirits and Mementoes right next door, a shop selling traditional wood carvings and absorbant coasters, as well as "competitive priced cigarettes and adult beverages". Best of all though, they sell Packwood T-shirts (see below). I'm ordering one right now.
 
Man, I can't believe I'm actually going to see these places with my own eyes in a few months time!!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Daniel said...

your dorkyness is adorable lewis. I envy your namedness, I doubt I've gonna find Jaquette, and if i do, it'll probably be in France or some crap. The closest thing I ever had was the "House of Daniel" back in my home town, and it was an old person beauty salon, sigh

6:58 pm  
Blogger Andrew Cramer said...

Hahaha Thats great dude. Classic!

9:28 pm  
Anonymous stu said...

this is incredible! what a great story. you must source a packwood, lewis t-shirt too. especially handy for japan.

then where? are you off to the small scottish island next? to perhaps the timber yard?!

10:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what about Packwood in IOWA, is this not on your list? Dad

11:47 pm  
Blogger Phoenix said...

Well, I knew a lot of Lewis places, and the name Packwood is famous, but Lewis and Packwood...together? ^_^ It's no wonder you're so excited!

I understand though. When I was in Oregon for the Shakespeare festival, I discovered a nearby hamlet (groan...) named Phoenix. Well, I just HAD to hop a bus out there and take pictures! Every third business had Phoenix in the name, and there were Phoenix signs all over the place. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Church of Phoenix, which would have been AWESOME. Ah, well. Luckily for me, there are only three towns/cities named Phoenix in America. One down, two to go.

Unfortunately for you, there are a load of Lewis places. This is what you get for sharing a name with a famous explorer. (coincidentally, the town Packwood was also named for an explorer, so there you go)

Ah, good times.

11:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Packwood,IA lists a population of 223, not big granted, 1 of everything town but Packwood,WA must be very small as it doesn't list any population!
Source epodunk.com
Just noticed that Packwood IA county seat is place called Fairfield, I used to live in a road called Fairfield Crescent!
Dad

3:26 am  
Anonymous Daniel said...

You see, America has all the answers.

1:03 pm  
Blogger nightninja21 said...

Hey Lewis, it's Brandon friend Tristan (the guy who was in scotland) anyway Packwood is a couple hundred miles away from where I live, and where Brandon grew up but if you want to come and visit me, or if Brandon is in town us, then let me know via e-mail.

6:22 pm  
Blogger Lewis said...

Thanks Tristan, I think I'll take you up on that offer!

6:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home