29 November 2004

Meet my new mum

I went out with my host mum the other day. It's a bit difficult trying to descibe the concept of a host mum you don't actually live with... Basically I applied with Familynet to be assigned with a Japanese family so that they could introduce me to some aspects of Japan that I wouldn't normally get to see, such as eating a family meal, observing Japanese customs and so on.

Anyway, I thought I'd put up some photos of me and my host mum, Igarashi-san, on our day out together..

My new 'mum' and I proudly show off the laquerware we painted. 
Here's 'mum' sitting in the gardens we visited.

The hills look spectacular at the moment thanks to the autumn colours.
All these trees and bushes have been tied up to protect them from the snow. The idea is that the string will stop the branches from bending or snapping under the weight of the snow. Apparently this technique is unique to the Hokkiriku region.

No comments: