24 November 2004

So you want me to work on a Saturday?

So Mike called me last weekend and said "Do you fancy helping out at an English seminar for Mikuni High School kids? Some students are being sent to Wales on a school exchange, so we're giving them some extra tuition and playing some games and stuff on Saturday. Wanna come?"

"Saturday?" I said.

"You get paid 4,000 yen", he said.

"Fair enough", I said, "I'll be there". It was only when I put down the phone that I realised 4,000 yen was only twenty quid. About half of which would be spent on petrol and tolls driving there in the first place.

Still, a good time was had by all, despite the fact that I only got two hours sleep the night before after accidentally going to a karaoke bar until five in the morning. But at least I stayed awake, unlike some people... Matt?

Thanks to Mike for a great day and a blinding curry afterwards - good work fella. 

Students of Mikuni hard at work learning English.

Two Mikuni junior high school students. These poor sods are being sent to Cardiff on school exchange. I tried to warn them, but there was nothing I could do... (sorry to any Welsh people reading this)

Mike's rather funky pad.
A gaggle of rather scary English teachers. L to r: Brendan, Ben and Rich.

This pencil case belonged to one of the students in Mikuni. I love the juxtaposition between the anti-establishment comments on the left and the cute kitten on the right. I asked the thirteen year old boy who owned this pencil case if he knew who the bloke to the left of Bush was. "Is it Putin?" he replied.
Mike's rather funky pad.

No comments: