05 August 2006

What Next For The Englishman?

Well, that's pretty much it for An Englishman in Nyu-gun. Since I'm no longer actually in Japan there seems little point in continuing... If you're a new JET or teacher, or you're just thinking of coming to live in Japan, I hope you find this blog useful and interesting. If you're one of the guys and girls who've been reading from the very beginning, I hope you've enjoyed reading my rambling, awkward prose. It's been fun, ne? Of course, there's loads of things I never quite got round to writing about - like the fascinating love/hate relationship Japan seems to have with South Korea. Foreign relations between the two countries could currently be described as "frosty" to say the least, yet the Japanese public just can't get enough of Korean TV drama. This has led to a proliferation of magazines entirely dedicated to Korean celebrities with fantastic names like "Power of Korea", "Rabu Seoul (Love Seoul)" and my personal favourite: "It's Koreal". I never quite got round to writing about my girlfriend Flick's brilliant performance in the Sabae half-marathon either. Not only did she come a respectable 19th in the women's category, she also smashed her time target. I'd like to think her performance was aided by me cycling ahead her on a bicycle, shouting words of encouragement. Having said that, I was a little lacking towards the end - her iPod broke down and so she asked me to talk at her instead to give her something to focus on. All I could think of to talk about was the new series of Doctor Who, which didn't go down too well. She may even have sped up to get away from me. That's just the beginning - there are loads of other things I've been meaning to write about, but, unfortunately, I've simply run out of time. Besides, I've waffled on for long enough already - it's time to say goodbye. Thank you to everyone who's been following the adventures of An Englishman in Nyu-Gun - I never thought there'd be so many of you (over 40,000 hits last time I checked!). Thanks to everyone who's ever left a comment, even (perhaps especially) the weird ones, and huge thanks to everyone who's emailed me with their messages of support. Thank you. Very soon I'll be heading off on a 3-month round-the-world trip via South America, New Zealand, Australia and Bali, but once I'm back in the UK I'll be starting a new adventure - becoming a journalist. (By the way, if you happen to be the editor of a successful newspaper or magazine, feel free to send me an email if you like what you see. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, pleasegivemeajob.) Finally, once I get back from travelling in late November I'll begin my new blog: An Englishman At Large. See you there. Sayonara. For now.

9 comments:

Ian said...

Thank you for consistantly distracting me from work.

Jasoni said...

it's been emotional. thank you Englishman

Al Berto said...

Hello:
It is a pleasure to come here to see your news.
Very interesting.
Greetings,


New article in EG.
You can translate the page with Babel Translator

Andrew Cramer said...

Awwww no stop of in Cape Town??? :(
Poor form Lew, just not cricket.
Ah well, you'll get here eventually. :)

Good luck in your journalism mate!!!

Anonymous said...

good job guy, your shoes are going to be hard to fill over at JETFuel, speaking of which, As editor i'm in a position to offer you a journalism position at the highly reputable JETFuel zene.

Beata said...

Hey Lewis,

wow, I can't believe you're not going to write your blog anymore. =( It's bad enough you left, but now-- no more amusing commentaries about Japan or your travels. What has the world come to???
Have an awesome time traveling the world and say hello to Flick for me, will ya.
Jaa ne...

elisabetha said...

sayonara!
I've been a distracted reader since around half a year ago.
Now that I'm applying for JET myself I thought I'd check back here...and you're already "gone"! I'm a bit sad but just wanted to say thanks...your adventures convince me like nothing else that i need to get over to Japan too.

Anonymous said...

Hello,I CAME FROM SHANGHAI ,I am glad to visit your BLOG,you are welcome to shanghai China.
my BLOG IS http://blog.sina.com.cn/zhanglei75

mike said...

good reading about your adventures! thank you.