03 August 2005

Insects from Hell

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Cicada \Ci*ca"da\ (s[i^]*k[=a]"d[.a]), n.; pl. E. Cicadas
   (-d[.a]z), L. Cicad[ae] (-d[=e]). [L.] (Zo["o]l.)
   Any species of the genus Cicada. They are large hemipterous
   insects, with nearly transparent wings. The male makes a
   shrill sound by peculiar organs in the under side of the
   abdomen, consisting of a pair of stretched membranes, acted
   upon by powerful muscles.
 
"Shrill sound"? "Shrill sound"? More like the sound of a thousand deaf violinists trying to play a top E on a violin with strings made out of barbed wire. Seriously, these little buggers are driving me mad. I don't know if it's just me, but these intensely irritating insects seem to have gotten louder and louder over the past few days. Maybe it's because of the heat - the temperature reached 35 degrees yesterday, which I think was the hottest day of the year so far. Maybe the heat's getting them in the mood for love, and they're calling out to all the lady cicadas. Or maybe they're calling out for air conditioning. Either way, I wish they'd just shut up and let me get some sleep.

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

Are they really that bad? They haven't bothered me at all, knock on wood.